Crazy or powerless. . . what do we do to our kids?

Wow, I learned something about myself today.  I learned that if I cannot direct my learning at pretty much all times, I feel crazy. . .

Sat in a workshop today where internet access was unavailable.  A friend believes it was unintentional. I believe it was intentional. I spent some time being angry and frustrated that the presenter would deliberately set up a workshop without internet access.  BUT, realizing that was futile, I began to examine that anger and frustration.

I realized the thing that was driving me crazy was not being able to direct my learning.  I was missing tweets from other workshops or learning opps, I was missing being able to do any work on the web and get some things done I needed to do, and I had no access to my email or even my phone. (Cell phones were blocked in this particular workshop location.)

I realized in many ways, I felt powerless—I had to engage with the speaker’s lecture or be bored doing nothing.  I could have taken notes—so I began writing.  Thus, you get to read the angry blog that precedes this one and the reflection in this one.

I felt powerless to direct my own learning in the ways I wanted to, in the ways that I was comfortable with and in the ways that fits my style. I don’t want to be in that place.

So why do we do it to our kids daily?

One thought on “Crazy or powerless. . . what do we do to our kids?

1. “I felt powerless to direct my own learning in the ways I wanted to, in the ways that I was comfortable with and in the ways that fits my style. I don’t want to be in that place.”

What you felt and since reflected upon is exactly why you are and have been a great teacher. To become a teacher you are taught everything; form differentiation, to classroom management, to parent communication, to now web 2.0…etc But you have empathy…empathy allows us that are impassioned by our students and their needs the ability to think, reflect, and react on the fly.
    Kudos to you for bringing up and shame on them for not harnessing the power of the web,backchannel chats, and collaboration of like minded folks.